1. One of the most important things when buying any appliance is to take your measurements.
- You want to know the width of your existing refrigerator, as well as the width of your space.
- You may have extra space around your refrigerator, which will allow you more options.
- You also want to know the height of your existing refrigerator, as well as the height of the space the existing refrigerator is in.
- You want to know the front to back measurements of the fridge, as well as the depth of your existing space.
2. Is there water and electricity?
While you’re taking those measurements, take note of whether you have a water line, and that you have electrical behind your fridge.
3. The second thing that you want to consider is, what configuration you want.
- There are three main configurations. There’s the typical side-by-side, where you have a freezer on the left and a refrigerator on the right.
- The most popular configuration today is what’s called a French door, where you have two doors on top that are both refrigerated, and one door on the bottom which is your freezer. This is the most popular configuration right now.
- The third configuration is a traditional top-mount, with a freezer on the top and a refrigerator on the bottom.
4. How do those configurations meet your needs?
If you do a lot of entertaining this space may not work for you on the side-by-side there’s not a lot of room for large platters versus having something with wide shelves a lot of room for platters
5. What about ice & water?
Do you want an in-the-door ice and water dispenser? It’s a very popular feature. It’s also probably the most service-prone feature on a refrigerator. The convenience of having crushed and cubed ice and water through the door is great. But understand that you may have more service calls on that feature.
6. What finish do you want?
- There are a number of finishes today. Stainless steel is still extremely popular.
- Most brands are coming out with variations on black stainless, slate carbon stainless, basically dark stainless finishes those are becoming more and more popular today because they’re more fingerprint resistant and easier to clean.
- Of course, you also have your traditional black and white finishes.